A Brief History
In the immediate post-Independence era, Ghana embarked on an import-substitution industrialisation policy with the active involvement of the state. The development of the manufacturing sector was thus spearheaded by the State with support from multi-national companies such as UAC, and a few emerging Lebanese and Indian industrialists.
However, some nationals felt that the sustained growth of industries in Ghana would depend on the development and active participation of local industrialists. Consequently, in 1957, a small group of about 7–10 indigenous Ghanaian Industrialists came together to form the Federation of Ghana Industries, led by the indefatigable Dr. (Mrs) Esther Ocloo of Nkulenu Industries Limited who became the first President. The other pioneers included Rev. T.A. Adjetey, Mr. Alfred Gaisie, Mr. J.A. Brenyah, Mr. K.A. Agbemabiasie, Mr. David K. Ziga, Mr. K.J. Khubchandani, and others. The objective then was to protect the interest of the emerging indigenous manufacturers.
In 1961, realising that all Ghana manufacturing companies faced a common destiny irrespective of ownership, the base of the Federation was broadened to embrace both the state-owned and foreign-owned manufacturing industries. The name of the Association was therefore changed to Ghana Manufacturers’ Association.
In 1984, the need for all sectors of industry to be under one umbrella was considered desirable. The Association’s Constitution was therefore amended to admit to membership companies whose services impinge on manufacturing, namely, financial institutions, insurance companies and specialised associations such as Liquor Manufacturers' Association of Ghana, Ghana Printers & Paper Converters’ Association, Furniture & Wood Products’ Association of Ghana, Ghana Timber Millers’ Organisation, Advertising Association of Ghana, etc., as Associate Members. The name of the Association was accordingly changed to the Association of Ghana Industries (AGI).
The Association offers the following services, among others:
- Policy Advocacy and Advisory
- Industrial Sub-contracting & Partnership
- Information Gathering, Analysis and Dissemination
- Business Plan Preparation and Development
- Trade Promotion
The chronology of the Presidency of the Federation Association is as follows:
|Year||Name of President||Name of Company|
|1957 – 1961||Dr. (Mrs) Esther Ocloo||Nkulenu Industries Limited|
|1961 – 1965||Mr. Alfred Gaisie||Gaisie (W/A) Limited|
|1965 – 1968||Mr. Myles C. Hagan||Lever Brothers Ghana Limited|
|1968 – 1969||Mr. E. Acquaah-Harrison||Obonoma Packaging Limited|
|1969 – 1971||Mr. C. C. K. Baah||Economic Industries Limited|
|1971 – 1973||Mr. Alfred Gaisie||Gaisie (W/A) Limited|
|1973 – 1975||Dr. (Mrs) Esther Ocloo||Nkulenu Industries Limited|
|1975 – 1978||Mr. J. K. Rockson||Super Blades & Metals Mfg Ltd|
|1978 – 1980||Dr. (Mrs) Esther Ocloo||Nkulenu Industries Limited|
|1980 – 1986||Mr. A. Appiah-Menka||Appiah-Menka Complex Limited|
|1987 – 1993||Dr. John Kobina Richardson||Pioneer Tobacco Company Ltd|
|1994 – 1999||Dr. Justice Atta Addison||Multiwall Paper Sacks (W/A) Ltd|
|1999 – 2001||Prince Kofi Kludjeson||Kludjeson International Limited|
|2001 – 2003||Mrs Elizabeth Joyce Villars||Camelot Ghana Limited|
|2003 – 2005||Prince Kofi Kludjeson||Kludjeson International Limited|
|2005 – 2009||Mr. Tony Oteng-Gyasi||Tropical Cable & Conductor Ltd|
|2010 - 2013||Nana Owusu-Afari||Afariwaa Group of Companies|
|2014 -||Mr. James Asare-Adjei||Asadtek Group of Companies|
The following staff members gave of their time, intellect and energy to shape the destiny of the Association:
- Mr. S. N. K. Ocloo, husband of late Dr. (Mrs) Esther Ocloo, became the first Honorary Secretary of the Federation;
- Mr. F. Bannerman-Menson doubled as the Executive Director of Ghana Employers’ Association (GEA) and part-time Executive Secretary of Ghana Manufacturers’ Association;
- Mr. Kwame Pianim was made available to the Federation/Association by his employers, Ghana Aluminium Products Limited (GHANAL), as Honorary Economic Consultant to write policy papers for the Association.
- Mr. Eddie Imbeah-Amoakuh joined the Association in 1972 as the first full-time Assistant Executive Secretary and later became the Executive Secretary. He worked for 27 years until his retirement in 1999.